Monday, January 25, 2010

update=]

Things have been pretty relaxed here since I last wrote. I have spent most of my time enjoying the summer weather. I was spent 4 days soaking up the rays of the sun, taking beautiful pictures, and even braving the waters. Cape Town has it up and downs but it’s definitely a place I have come to enjoy.
Things to get used to/ things I have learned:
- Being on the other side of the road (Not the wrong side) - crossing the street, picking up taxis and waking to the left side takes some getting used to.
- Using rands – 1 rand ≠ 1 dollar things cost more rand then dollars but that doesn’t mean they are more expensive. A sandwich at Nando’s is like 34 rand but is only like $4.70.
- Cape Town is “Americanized” in the way that many things about our societies are similar. The culture of Cape Town is very different however but things as far as stores go are very similar.
- Food fast is also a bit different. Its take away if you want it to go. And if you eat it there you eat with real plates and silverware. I dropped my knife and one of the people working there came over and handed me a clean one without me even asking. A very different feel to our fast food.
- Languages, accents and slang. There are 11 official languages of South Africa. Every day you hear quite a few. Local friends sometime drop in and out of English which has been fun to experience and observe but makes it hard to participate in conversation. Obviously there are regional accents everywhere but I find myself doing more active listening to understand people. Also there are a lot of different slang words for things. More recently I have learned the slang word for hobo.
-Crime is talked about a lot here during orientation because our programs want us to be safe. I think that a lot of their information though was common sense stuff- things that know I would even do if I was at home in Baltimore. I think as long as you act smartly you will be ok, so ill will adventure with my wits about me.
- I learned the train system of Cape Town the other day. It’s really cheap and you can get one it close to my flat and take it right to the beach. No was really checks tickets on the stops we got on and off so we have actually ridden the train for free both times.

Great things/ fun facts:
-Locals that I have made friends with are all really nice. One of the guys I was talking to the other day has a similar major to me. I love that I can have conversations about race, religion, sexuality, and other contemporary issues with people from a place complete different from myself and be able to hold my own and have a great educated deep discussion.
-The beaches and the weather here are the best. I hate the cold and I am so glad it’s summer here. The days are hot and sunny and the nights are cool. I might need to invest in another sweater because it’s a bit chilly sometimes when the wind blows. But over all I’m glad it will stay nice for a bit.
-The interstudy Leader or “Mamma” as we call her name is Ouma which is pronounced like Oma. It reminds me a lot of mom. Ouma is here for us all the time. She is married with 3 kids so she is definitely taking more of a motherly roll for us.
-The main building in the center of upper campus is called Jameson Hall. It’s a big building with mammoth pillars. It made it really easy for me to remember its names. lol
Orientation started today. They covered a lot of what interstudy cover when we first got here but there was a welcome reception and a drum lesson. They got all the international students together. Many parts of the globe are covered with more than 700 international semester abroad students this semester- which does not include the non- SA full time students. American is the largest represented country but there is also students from Germany, Sweden, Czech Republic, other European countries and Australia, as well as other African countries.

The rest of this week is orientation Friday we sign up for classes. Sunday is a Peninsular Tour which should be a fun excursion. And Monday I am climbing Table Mountain up to Devil’s Peak. The semester doesn’t start till Feb 5th so there is almost another 2 weeks to explore here. I might take a surf lesson or go shark cage diving. We will have to see.

Hope all is well in the States. Keep me updated.

1 comment:

  1. Im so glad you are having fun boo! Shark cage diving...? Now you're just trying to make us nervous! :-p

    ReplyDelete